Tenant Sues Pittsburgh Landlords Over Toxic Mold Exposure

Posted By: SSF Law Firm
Posted In:Premises Liability
Posted On: July 27 , 2021

Pittsburgh resident Kristina Mattea filed a lawsuit last year in the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas against five real estate defendants, claiming they failed to repair the toxic and hazardous mold found in her apartment or maintain its spread. As a result, her personal health was put at risk, and she lost many of her possessions.

If reasonable care is exercised, exposure to toxic mold can be prevented or repaired. But when responsible parties are negligent, toxic mold can cause a myriad of health complications and property damage. The Pittsburgh toxic mold injury lawyer at Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman P.C. can prove liability and get you the compensation you deserve.

Details Of The Case

The real estate defendants named in the case are AION Management, LLC, Mid‐Town Towers Associates and NDC Real Estate Management, Inc. – all of Pittsburgh. Also named as defendants are Leland Point Owner L.P. of New York, and Beacon Communities, LLC of Boston.

Mattea went looking for a new apartment to accommodate her, her boyfriend, and her alert dog in the spring of 2018. She worked as a waitress and bartender at the Loose Moose Saloon in Pittsburgh where she met Darcie Speigle, a manager at a rental management company.

Speigle told Mattea her company had available apartments for rent at The Alden in nearby Baldwin Borough. She said the apartments were “clean and safe.”

Formerly known as the Baldwin Court Apartments, Leland Point, and The Residences South Hills, The Alden combined to make a massive 1,100-unit multi‐family apartment complex.

Mattea leased an apartment at The Alden for $725 per month. During 2018, she reported water leaking in her apartment. She later learned that toxic black mold, also known as Stachybotrys Chartarum, and other harmful fungi had grown in the drywall, behind the bathroom wall.

Toxic black mold spreads quickly by producing millions of microscopic spores. These spores contaminate the air and surfaces in surrounding areas.

Mattea’s suit states, The Alden’s maintenance crew “left the wall open” in her apartment and allowed the spores to spread from the bathroom into the rest of the apartment. It goes on to claim that unqualified personnel “failed to identify or properly remediate the toxic mold problem,” and the defendants also “refused to pay for qualified professional remediation.”

Some common signs of health problems caused by exposure to toxic mold include:

  • Allergic reactions like sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, coughing, itchy or watery eyes
  • Irritations like skin rashes or reddened eyes that burn
  • Respiratory and lung problems and complications that may cause serious damage
  • Infections that can lead to death

When Should I Contact A Lawyer?

The words “toxic mold” can cause panic, and these words should cause concern. When people are exposed to toxic mold in their homes, they can become seriously injured or even die.

Toxic mold control and prevention is taken very seriously in the Pennsylvania courts, and victims exposed to toxic mold can recover substantial damages. If you have been exposed to toxic mold, the Pittsburgh toxic mold injury attorneys at Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman P.C. are ready to put our experience to work for you.

Contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 888-988-9467.

Share :