In major cities like Pittsburgh, there is plenty of pedestrian traffic. Each day across the city, thousands of people are walking in and around the roadways. However, pedestrians are very vulnerable to significant injuries in collisions with vehicles. The Pittsburgh pedestrian accident lawyers at Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman want to discuss steps that you can take to avoid being a pedestrian involved in a traffic collision.
Why pedestrian safety is important
When we look at the data provided by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, we can see that a high percentage of pedestrian accidents in this state lead to injuries or fatalities. According to data from the latest reporting year, there were 4,129 total pedestrian accidents. Out of those incidents, there were 201 fatalities and 4,090 injuries.
How can you stay safe as a pedestrian?
Despite the grim-looking statistics, there are steps you can take to prevent pedestrian versus vehicle collisions. As a pedestrian, the following steps will help keep you safe:
- Walk on the sidewalk. If a sidewalk is there, use it. If there is no sidewalk, walk as close to the left side of the street as possible, facing traffic.
- Cross at the crosswalk. You should only cross at intersections when the light allows or at marked pedestrian crosswalks.
- Stop before crossing the street. Never dash or dart out into the street. Always stop before you walk into the street.
- Look both ways. This is something that you should remember from childhood – look left, then right, then left again before you cross the street.
- Be visible. Make sure to wear brightly colored clothing. If you are not visible, especially at night, you are much more likely to get struck by a vehicle. If you are a regular evening or nighttime walker, you should consider buying some reflective clothing.
- Watch for vehicles backing out of driveways. This is a time when many drivers cannot see pedestrians.
- Be careful in the parking lots. Parking lots are crowded with people and vehicles, all trying to get where they need to be.
- Do not play in the street. Teach children not to play in the streets. While your neighbors may know your kids are usually around the street, other people do not.
Our team will work to secure your compensation
If you or somebody you care about has been injured any pedestrian accident that was caused by another driver’s careless or negligent actions, you may be entitled to compensation. The team at Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman is ready to get to work on your behalf. Our goal is to secure the following:
- Coverage of your medical bills related to the pedestrian crash
- Lost Income and benefits if you cannot work
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against a grossly negligent driver
When you need a Pittsburgh pedestrian accident lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 888-988-9467.