Nobody wants to experience the loss of a loved one due to the careless or negligent actions of another person. When these incidents do happen, it is important that families understand that they may be able to secure compensation for what has happened. At Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman, our Pittsburgh wrongful death lawyers want to discuss the elements of a wrongful death claim. Contact us today so we can review your case and work to secure the compensation you deserve.
WHAT ARE THE ELEMENTS OF A WRONGFUL DEATH CASE IN PENNSYLVANIA?
Wrongful death lawsuits can be filed against individuals, businesses, or other entities that cause another person’s death through their negligent actions or intentional wrongdoing. There are four elements of a wrongful death case that must be proven in order for families to successfully recover the compensation they deserve.
- Negligence: The first element that must be proven is that the death of a loved one was directly caused by the negligence of another party.
- Breach of duty: The next element that must be proven was that the defendant owed the deceased person a duty of care and that the duty was breached by negligent or intentional actions.
- Causation: If the first two elements are proven, it must then be shown that the negligence and breach of duty was the cause of the person’s death – that absent these circumstances, the death would not have occurred.
- Damages: Finally, it must be proven that there are damages involved in the case, such as medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, funeral costs, and more.
COMMON CAUSES OF WRONGFUL DEATH CASES IN PITTSBURGH
Wrongful death cases in Pittsburgh arise in various ways. At Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman, our lawyers regularly help families who have lost a loved one due to the following:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Defective products
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Workplace and construction accidents
- DUI accidents
- Train and light rail accidents
- and more
There are times when a person’s death in these cases also involves a criminal investigation by police. However, there does not have to be a criminal case in order for grieving family members to pursue compensation through a civil wrongful death lawsuit in Pittsburgh.
LET US HELP YOUR FAMILY SECURE COMPENSATION
If you have lost a loved one due to the careless, negligent, or intentional actions of another person, seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman, our knowledgeable and experienced team will thoroughly investigate what happened and work to secure the compensation your family deserves. This can include:
- Loss of future income and benefits of the deceased
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Cost of pre-death medical care
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of companionship damages
- Possible punitive damages against the responsible party