- Factors Influencing the Severity of Dog Bite Injuries
- Tips for Avoiding Truck Accidents in Pennsylvania
- How Common Are Train Accidents In Pennsylvania?
- How to Perform a Basic Bicycle Safety Check
- State Farm Analysts: Pennsylvania Top State For Deer-Related Crashes
- Tenant Sues Pittsburgh Landlords Over Toxic Mold Exposure
- E-Scooter Accidents and Fatalities Rise as Pittsburgh Launches Its Pilot Program
- Signs You’re Too Tired to Drive
- Study Indicates Large Vehicles Put Pedestrian & Cyclists In Harm’s Way
- Expert Advice For Avoiding Dog Attacks
Councilman Corey O’Conner lost his 66-year-old aunt in a pedestrian accident at the end of November. His aunt, named Margery Pelled, died at the hospital from injuries she sustained. Police say that she was crossing the street in a crosswalk at around 9 p.m. when she was hit.
We send our condolences to Councilman O’Conner and his family. We know they are going through an incredibly difficult time right now.
At Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman, we think that pedestrian accidents are far too common in and around the city. They often occur due to the negligence of a vehicle driver and leave people with serious injuries If you need a Pittsburgh pedestrian accident attorney, you can turn to us for help.
The State Statistics
Pedestrians are especially vulnerable to reckless and careless drivers. Unfortunately, they are often even struck when they are in pedestrian right-of-ways like the Councilman’s aunt in the story above. Pedestrians have no protection from the force of a vehicle slamming into them.
When these accidents occur, the damage is often severe. It is not uncommon for clients we represent to have sustained:
- Major spinal cord damage (paralysis)
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Dislocated and broken bones
- Amputations and crush injuries
- Internal organ damage
Treating these injuries can become incredibly costly, as there is often the need for extended rehabilitation for a victim to make a full recovery. If a person is permanently disabled and in need of lifelong care, do you know if your insurance will cover the expenses?
Why Do These Accidents Occur?
When we begin to look at why these accidents occur, we see many of the same patterns that we do in regular vehicle accidents, just with more devastating results.
Some of the common causes of pedestrian crashes are:
- Distracted drivers who are paying attention to their cell phones. We commonly see this with younger drivers who lack experience, but more and more, we are seeing this behavior across age ranges.
- Drunk drivers are a continual danger to those on and around the roadway. Those who make the choice to drink and drive should be held accountable for their actions.
- Speeding drivers are the number one cause of accidents in the state, but many people do not consider speeding to be a dangerous thing. It is, and it can cause pedestrians severe harm.
How To Move Forward
You do not have to be alone during this difficult time. At Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman, our qualified and experienced team will work diligently to secure the compensation you need in the aftermath of an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence.
We know that the cost of these accidents goes beyond medical expenses, which is why we will work to get coverage for lost income, loss of enjoyment of life damages, as well as possible punitive damages.
When you need a Pittsburgh pedestrian accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 888-98-TWINS(89467).