- Factors Influencing the Severity of Dog Bite Injuries
- Tips for Avoiding Truck Accidents in Pennsylvania
- How Common Are Train Accidents In Pennsylvania?
- How to Perform a Basic Bicycle Safety Check
- State Farm Analysts: Pennsylvania Top State For Deer-Related Crashes
- Tenant Sues Pittsburgh Landlords Over Toxic Mold Exposure
- E-Scooter Accidents and Fatalities Rise as Pittsburgh Launches Its Pilot Program
- Signs You’re Too Tired to Drive
- Study Indicates Large Vehicles Put Pedestrian & Cyclists In Harm’s Way
- Expert Advice For Avoiding Dog Attacks
A woman from Penn Township was arrested last week after a hit-and-run incident that sent a man to the hospital. The man who was struck by Maria Ann Martini, 32, said that he was walking towards a restaurant when a green Honda struck him from behind. The woman got out of the car to see if he was okay but took off when he said the police needed to be called. When police caught up with Martini, they found what they believed to be heroin or fentanyl inside of the vehicle.
Martini has been charged with aggravated assault by vehicle, accidents involving injury, fleeing from police, drug possession, and more.
At Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman, this incident shows that driving under the influence does not necessarily mean being impaired by alcohol. Drugs, especially in the opioid epidemic we are facing, are a rising problem when it comes to vehicle accidents. We also know that impaired driving is only one risk drivers face. When you need a car accident lawyer pittsburgh, call us today.
What Can Happen?
We want to give you some statistics from the latest reporting year in Pennsylvania so we can show the real dangers that exist on our roadways. We know that there was, a total of 128,188 collisions and that out of those there were:
- 80,612 injuries
- 1,137 fatalities
While most of these accidents and injuries are minor, there are still thousands of them that leave people with serious, catastrophic injuries such as:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Head and brain trauma
- Severe lacerations
- Internal organ damage
- Whiplash injuries
Not only do these injuries have the potential to cause major physical lifestyle changes, but they can also ruin a person financially. Not only do victims experience high medical costs, but there are hidden costs like lost income and loss of enjoyment of life to consider.
What Causes These Accidents
We know that there are many causes of vehicle accidents and not all of them are the result of driver negligence. Unfortunately, we often see:
- Drivers who are impaired by drugs or alcohol were the case in the opening story.
- Distracted drivers who are focused on incoming text messages, Netflix videos, or phone calls with friends.
- Drivers who think it is okay to speed and drive aggressively, regardless of how it could affect others.
Moving On From Here
When you leave your house each day, we know you do not expect to be dealing with injuries from a car accident. When something happens to you or a loved one, you need to know where to turn. At Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman, you can count on our qualified and experienced team to secure the compensation you deserve in the aftermath of an accident. This includes medical expenses, lost income recovery, as well as pain and suffering damage. When you need a Pittsburgh car accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 888-98-TWINS(89467).