When you consider how many places you go on a daily basis, it really is amazing how many people’s hands you put your safety in.
- If you go to the park with your kids, you trust that their maintenance team keeps the swings and other playground equipment well-maintained.
- When you get out of your car, your trust that the parking lot you have to walk across is even and there are no broken curbs.
- At the grocery store, we can be sure that the shelves and store displays are sturdy and will not fall on us.
But what happens if something goes wrong when we are on another person’s property? What if the property owner or their employees do not do their jobs properly?
At Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman, we know that injuries on another person’s premises are common. From slip and fall incidents to faulty equipment, there are many dangers. Today, we want to take you through some basic steps to take if you get injured. When you need a Pittsburgh premises liability attorney, we are here for you.
Steps You Need To Take
To the best of your ability, follow these steps immediately after an injury:
- Call 911 if the injury is serious.
- If it is not a 911 situation, notify store management that you were injured.
- Document the scene if you can. Use a smartphone or other device to take pictures of what caused your injury. If you do not, chances are the area will be cleaned up or fixed as soon as you leave.
- Go to the ER or the doctor as soon as you leave the store. Your injury may not feel serious at the time, but many injuries do not become painful until a bit after they happen. If there is a gap in time between when the injury happened and when you sought treatment, the insurance company of the location you were injured will use this against you, making a claim you were not really injured there.
- Do not speak with any insurance company until you seek legal advice. They will record your statement and seek to gain information that will absolve them of having to pay a settlement.
- Get all documentation related to the incident. This can include copies of all store reports as well as all medical reports.
- Secure an attorney who can walk you through this entire process.
What We Can Do For You
If a property owner’s negligence has caused you or a loved one harm, contact Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman today. We want to help you secure the compensation you need for all of your incident-related expenses. We know that you did not expect to be dealing with something like this, so let us help secure:
- Compensation for your medical expenses
- Lost wages if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages
If you need a premises liability attorney in Pittsburgh, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 1-888-988-9467.