The Pittsburgh area can experience some serious winter weather. When the snow starts falling, most people know that the conditions can get a little bit slippery here. When temperatures drop below freezing, slip and fall accidents tend to increase. The Pittsburgh slip and fall lawyers at Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman want to share some tips on how you can avoid these incidents when the snow starts falling outside.
Steps to avoiding winter weather slip and falls
- Watch where you walk. You need to be alert when you are walking in areas where snow or ice accumulate. Examine the area and be alert at all times.
- Wear proper footwear. During periods of winter weather, wear boots or shoes that have textured soles that will give more traction on the snow or ice. Shoes that are recommended for work in restaurants, and commonly sold at department stores, are a good option.
- Use supporting objects. Use any supporting objects, like handrails, that may be available along your walkway. This can help you maintain your balance and recover from a potential fall.
- Common walking sense. When the weather is snowy outside, try to choose walking routes with the least number of hazards as possible. You should also take smaller steps and walk with a flat foot.
- Slow down outside. You need to take your time when walking to your destination. Give yourself some extra travel time by starting your route a little earlier than usual. Do not run when the ground is snowy or icy.
- Wear proper eyewear. If you cannot see the path in front of you, then you will be much more likely to slip and fall. Appropriate eyewear, like sunglasses, can be a great benefit in wintery weather.
- Avoid hazardous weather. If the weather outside is too dangerous or has created major hazards like large snow embankments, stay home if at all possible.
- Report hazardous conditions. If you notice any icy or untreated pavement or sidewalks, report them to the appropriate property or business manager so they can take steps to keep the area safe.
- Be careful indoors. When the weather is snowy outside, the area just inside doorways is likely to be slippery as well. Be careful when you walk into a building, as melted snow can create a serious hazard.
You may be entitled to compensation for this case
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a slip and fall accident that was caused by the careless or negligent actions of another person, seek legal assistance immediately. At Shenderovich, Shenderovich & Fishman, we will work to secure any compensation you are entitled to, which can include:
- All slip and fall accident medical bills
- Lost income if you are unable to work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the property owner
When you need a slip and fall lawyer in Pittsburgh, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 888-988-9467.